Storm Checklist for Your Orinda Home
It is a good idea to assess your property for storm damage and make sure you have the right equipment to protect your safety before and after a major storm. It is impossible to predict how much damage a storm may cause. Because you cannot escape mother nature, knowing what to do in the event of a natural disaster is critical. It pays to be prepared, so here are some pointers on how to get ready when a storm is on the way.
Inside Your Home
- Make sure you have nonperishable food, medications, baby necessities, and pet food on hand.
- Invest in bottled water. One gallon of water per person per day is recommended by the American Red Cross.
- Examine emergency supplies, such as flashlights, battery-operated radios, extension cords, and emergency generators.
- Purchase additional batteries.
- Have extra cash on hand if you are unable to withdraw money from an ATM or bank due to a power outage.
- Set your refrigerator to the coldest setting possible. This will keep food fresher for longer if the power goes out. Most food will stay frozen or fresh for up to 12 hours if the refrigerator is closed.
- Turn off and unplug any unnecessary electrical devices that could cause injury.
- Have a first-aid kit on hand.
- Keep a manual can opener on hand.
- Keep important documents in a safe raised box, such as birth certificates and insurance paperwork.
Outside Your Home
- Keep an eye out for downed electrical wires and keep away from them when going outside.
- Clear debris from trees that are not near power lines.
- Fill up your car's gas tank.
- Bring loose, light objects inside, such as yard furniture.
- If you have a pool, switch off all pumps and filters and cover them in waterproof fabric to prevent storm water from damaging them.
After the Storm
If a storm has damaged your home, call SERVPRO of Lafayette/Moraga/Orinda for help repairing and restoring your property. Our highly experienced workers can respond to storm or flood damage 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you have as storm-related emergency, call (925) 299-1323 to get your property restored to its pre-storm condition.