Facts about Holiday Fires
Holidays are here and the U.S Fire Administration has some facts we at SERVPRO of Lafayette / Moraga / Orinda find really import to share:
- One of every four home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems.
- Although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious. On average, one of every 32 reported home Christmas tree fires results in a death compared to an average of one death per 143 total reported home fires.
- A heat source too close to the tree causes one in every four Christmas tree fires.
- The top three days for home candle fires are Christmas, New Year’s Day, and Christmas Eve.
- Candles start two out of five home decoration structure fires.
Causes for mold in homes
Mold is a type of fungus that consists of small organisms that grow but in order for it to grow it needs some conditions and we at SERVPRO of Lafayette / Moraga / Orinda want you to be aware of it:
- Mold spores
- A food source (eg wood, drywall, cotton)
- Darkness (mold can't grow under ultraviolet light)
- Warmth (mold can't grow in freezing temperatures)
- Moisture (eg water leaks, humidity)
- Enough time (most molds can begin to grow in 24-48 hours if the conditions are right)
Your home has almost all the conditions for mold to grow, the only one of the list you can help control is moisture. In other words, the difference between whether mold grows in your home or not comes down to whether you have a moisture problem.
Scenarios where mold can grow in your home
Last blog post we talked a little bit about the conditions mold needs to grow. If you haven't seen it yet you can click right here and check "Causes for mold in homes".
In this post we are going to be focusing on Scenarios where the factor Moisture is found and may be key for a mold problem:
- Leaking Pipes
- Leaks in Roof
- Poor Ventilation
- Wet Clothes
- Damp Basement
- Water at the House's Foundation
If you have any of these situations above, don't hesitate to call us. As a trusted leader in the restoration industry, SERVPRO of Lafayette / Moraga / Orinda provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any size disaster. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs
How to Prevent Mold issues
Winter is here and we at SERVPRO of Lafayette / Moraga / Orinda care about your home. here are some tips to prevent mold issues:
- Keep humidity levels as low as you can—no higher than 50%–all day long.
- Be sure your home has enough ventilation.
- Fix any leaks in your home’s roof, walls, or plumbing so mold does not have moisture to grow.
- Clean up and dry out your home thoroughly and quickly (within 24–48 hours) after flooding.
- Clean bathrooms with mold-killing products.
- Remove or replace carpets and upholstery that have been soaked and cannot be dried promptly.
If you want to know more about how to prevent Mold issues at your home you can go Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Is Cooking Dangerous?
The answer is NO! But cooking is the number 1 cause of fires in homes.
We all love a good meal and with the Holidays coming we hope you all have great meals coming out safe of your kitchens. We brought you information about how to be even safer.
First most fires in the kitchen are man-made, so keep an eye while in the kitchen. here are some safety tips:
House fires happen most during dinner hours—between 5:00 and 8:00 p.m.
- For grease fires, only use a fire extinguisher (class B) or baking soda. Do not use water! It will spread the oil/grease and make your fire worse.
- Never leave your food unattended. Fires only need 30 seconds to go from a small flame to an out-of-control blaze, so even going to the bathroom could endanger your home.
- Turn off the stove and all appliances once you’re done cooking.
- Keep everything off hot surfaces. For instance, don’t throw a dish towel on top of the stove, because it could still be hot!
- Don’t wear baggy clothing. It could catch fire accidentally.
- Keep the grill at least 10 feet from vegetation and the house.
And remember, we at SERVPRO of Lafayette / Moraga / Orinda are here to help in case of emergency to make it "Like it never even happened."
America's next eclipse is in 2024
If you weren't able to see one of the most anticipated and unifying events this country has witnessed in nearly a hundred years, don't worry. You won't have to wait an entire century until the next one -- just seven years. Another total solar eclipse will be visible in the United States on April 8, 2024.
Although the last eclipse was peaking over two minutes in the path of totality, the 2024 eclipse will have peaks of 4½ minutes. In the United States, it will be visible in a diagonal path crossing from Texas to Maine, according to NASA.If you're eclipse chaser who doesn't mind globetrotting, you can also catch these total solar eclipses around the world in the coming years:
- 2019: South Pacific, Chile, Argentina
- 2020: South Pacific, Chile, Argentina, South Atlantic
- 2021: Antarctica
- 2026: the Arctic, Greenland, Iceland, Spain
- 2027: Morocco, Spain, Algeria, Libya, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Somalia
- 2028: Australia, New Zealand
- 2030: Botswana, South Africa, Australia
for more information go to CNN.com
The days of a house cleaner with a mop, bucket and vacuum are over. Today a professional is entrusted with the care of a home, its furnishings and the health of its occupants. With the many new materials and surfaces being used in home décor, a professional house cleaner has a much broader range of knowledge than in the past as many of these newer surfaces require specialized care.
In addition to caring for the home and its contents, a professional house cleaning technician helps care for health. This includes hygienic cleaning, effective sanitizing of surfaces, use of appropriate cleaning agents, and procedures to prevent cross contamination. A thorough vacuuming with a high-efficiency filtration vacuum is an important contributor to improved indoor air quality.
An IICRC-certified House Cleaning Technician is trained to properly care for homes and health. A consumer who uses a certified professional can confidently trust the cleaning and relax in a clean and healthy home.
You know SERVPRO as a leader in Fire and Water Cleanup and Restoration, but our professional residential cleaning services can also make a dirty carpet "Like it never even happened."
Need Cleaning Services?
Call Us Today – (925) 299-1323
SERVPRO of Lafayette / Moraga / Orinda
SERVPRO Franchise Offers Local Businesses Free Emergency Ready Profile
When Disaster Strikes, You Can be Ruined or You Can BE READY!
The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile is a start up approach that provides the critical information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services. It is designed to serve as a quick reference of important building and contact information.
Did you know that as many as 50% of businesses close down following a disaster? Of the businesses that do survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. And knowing you are "Ready for whatever happens" speaks trust to your clients and employees that in the event your business is affected by a disaster, they don't necessarily have to be.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
No one plans on a disaster, but you can plan to be, "Ready for whatever happens".
Preparation is key component for making it through any size disaster, whether it's a small leak, a large fire or an area flood. The best time for planning for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens. No one ever plans on a disaster, but you can plan for it. Now is the time to ask yourself, "Are you Ready for whatever happens?"
SERVPRO of Lafayette/Moraga/Orinda offers a complimentary assessment of your facility that can minimize business interruption in the event of a disaster. This assessment provides the critical information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services and serves as a quick reference for important building and contact information. We would like to offer you this FREE service at your place of business. It's called SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile (ERP), and here are some advantages of the program:
- Includes a concise Profile Document that contains the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- Offers a guide to help you get back into your building safely following a disaster.
- Provides facility details such a shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information.
- Identifies the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider
Call us Today to Get Started 925-299-1323.
Test your escape plan often
- Practice your home fire escape plan twice a year, making the drill as realistic as possible.
- Make arrangements in your plan for anyone in your home who has a disability.
- Allow children to master fire escape planning and practice before holding a fire drill at night when they are sleeping. The objective is to practice, not to frighten, so telling children there will be a drill before they go to bed can be as effective as a surprise drill.
- It's important to determine during the drill whether children and others can readily waken to the sound of the smoke alarm. If they fail to awaken, make sure that someone is assigned to wake them up as part of the drill and in a real emergency situation.
- If your home has two floors, every family member (including children) must be able to escape from the second floor rooms. Escape ladders can be placed in or near windows to provide an additional escape route. Review the manufacturer's instructions carefully so you'll be able to use a safety ladder in an emergency. Practice setting up the ladder from a first floor window to make sure you can do it correctly and quickly. Children should only practice with a grown-up, and only from a first-story window. Store the ladder near the window, in an easily accessible location. You don't want to have to search for it during a fire.
- Always choose the escape route that is safest – the one with the least amount of smoke and heat – but be prepared to escape under toxic smoke if necessary. When you do your fire drill, everyone in the family should practice getting low and going under the smoke to your exit.
- Closing doors on your way out slows the spread of fire, giving you more time to safely escape.
- In some cases, smoke or fire may prevent you from exiting your home or apartment building. To prepare for an emergency like this, practice "sealing yourself in for safety" as part of your home fire escape plan. Close all doors between you and the fire. Use duct tape or towels to seal the door cracks and cover air vents to keep smoke from coming in. If possible, open your windows at the top and bottom so fresh air can get in. Call the fire department to report your exact location. Wave a flashlight or light-colored cloth at the window to let the fire department know where you are located.
Flooding and Water Damage
At SERVPRO of Lafayette / Moraga / Orinda we know a basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Because basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Scarsdale basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface Water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-Water tank failure
If You Have Questions or Need Help, Please Call Us At - (925) 299-1323
If Water damage is handled quickly and properly, it can cause severe damage to your home’s structure not to mention the potential harmful health effects of mold. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
At SERVPRO of Lafayette / Moraga / Orinda we are Flooding Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Experiencing Flooding? Call Us Today – We’re Always Here To Help - (925) 299-1323