If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (925) 299-1323

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Home Fire Damage Prevention Tips in Your Moraga Home

5/5/2021 (Permalink)

Preventing Fire Damage in Your Moraga Home

Most people know the basics of fire safety at home, such as not leaving burning candles unattended and keeping a fire extinguisher on hand. Here are more tips you can use to prevent fires at home.

Home Fire Prevention

Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

Make sure to test your smoke and CO detectors every month and replace the batteries at least once a year. Additionally, install a smoke detector on each level of your home to cover all your bases.

Inspect your gas appliances

Maintain your appliance by checking your water heater, gas stove, furnace, and dryer once a year. This ensures all the appliances’ connections to gas lines are working as they should and are in the proper condition. In addition, do not under any circumstances put combustible materials near gas appliances.

Get an Annual Inspection

Have a professional carry out a preventative maintenance assessment of your home’s heating and cooling systems yearly. This gives you the peace of mind that you’re heating and cooling systems are installed correctly, thereby helping you avoid a disaster event.

Be Cautious While Cooking

When you are cooking, do not leave any stoves unattended. Make sure to turn cookware handles toward the back of the stove, so that young children cannot accidentally knock over a boiling pot. If a grease spill occurs, be sure to wipe away any grease residue as soon as it reaches a cool temperature because it can easily catch fire.

Remove dryer lint buildup.

Dryer lint that accumulates in your dryer’s removable filter is highly flammable. If the lint is not removed after each load of laundry, it can cause a fire. Also, look out for and remove lint buildup around the dryer’s exhaust hose at least once a year.

Repair damaged power cords

If the plastic casing around your power cords is damaged, it could lead to an electrical fire that can occur if the cord is in use. Remove any power cords or appliance cords that are damaged before continued use.

Do not overload electrical outlets

Ensure that you do not have too many appliances in one outlet because it can overload a circuit and potentially lead to a fire. You can prevent this by limiting the number of devices that are plugged into a power outlet.

About SERVPRO of Lafayette/Moraga/Orinda

SERVPRO of Lafayette/Moraga/Orinda specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke, or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate facility to regular IICRC-Industry Certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.

Other News

View Recent Posts